Wednesday, August 12, 2015

That Trip I Took . . . 26 Years Ago

With the help of a challenge from the Stash Bash class over at Simple Scrapper, I stumbled (and I say stumbled as it was purely happenstance that I scrapped this picture that ended up being a lovely potential title page for an album?) into starting a long overdue album project.  The pictures and memorabilia have been hanging out since 1989 just waiting for me to have the time to sort and scrap them.  And here we are (clearing throat) 26 years later.  Not sure how it has been that long ago that I took an amazing two week trip with my Cadette Girl Scout troop.  The main purpose was to attend a session on the last year that GSUSA owned a piece of land that we referred to as National Center West.  

So what is making this possible?  A few things:
  I have the time - well, sort of - I guess I should say, I am making the time 
  The pictures (both mine and my mother's) are all together (she is helping me sort them)
  We saved the itinerary - so I have a great guide to follow
  Someone - I assume Patty Adams wrote a summary of the trip - day by day - of which I have a copy
  A random challenge led me to this photo and here we go!  
  My most recent Cocoa Daisy kit is totally working for this album so I hardly have to pick any supplies which is really helping.  

Let's get started - here is the page I created for the challenge - it screams title page, right?



So I used a sketch from July on the Simple Scrapper Site to create this two pager.  


The photos aren't amazing, but I am just keeping them to document the who and the changes in nearly 30 years.


I am even including photos I had that lead up to the trip.  We had to raise a lot of money!


I would like to mention that I have had those pink circles and that cupcake embellishment longer than I care to remember - yeah for finally finding a home for them. 


A random one off photo.  But I love it because it is a picture of the meeting space, the girls in my troop and provides a snapshot into our middle school selves.  


This one might look a little blank - it is - as I want my mother to journal on this one since these are her tickets. I added one in with photo corners cause reading the back is hilarious. It shows that you could still smoke in designated spaces in the airport and lots of other funny changes in travel since then.


I have a photo of both of my kids first plane rides and now I have mine in the books too. They were about 2 and 7 - I was 13!


These photos also remind me of what a good "documenter" my own mother is.  Love that she captured the ticket counter and inside the plane.


So glad to have this story told of the blue bags (I totally still have mine).  Love it.


As you can see - I am ten pages in to a two week trip and I am loving every minute of it. Maybe it is that it has been so long ago or that my own daughter is now in scouts, who knows but I am excited to keep working on this project.  I'm thinking a troop reunion is in order!  

Note to self for future trips - keep itineraries, keep rosters of who went so you can remember names, and ask friends for help remembering things.  All of this is really helping me.  



No comments:

Post a Comment